Essential Elements: Essential Technique
Essential Technique for Strings: Intermediate Technique Studies (original version). Book 3 of the Essential Elements series. By Michael Allen, Robert Gillespie, and Pamela Tellejohn Hayes. Published by Hal Leonard.
Essential Technique is a book of studies to help the intermediate player develop the skills necessary for playing in an orchestra. It introduces and explores:
- Higher positions and shifting
- New keys and scales: 7 major keys and 5 minor keys (in multiple forms) up to 3 sharps and 3 flats
- New bowings and rhythms
- Enharmonics and chromatics
- Treble clef for viola and tenor clef for cello and bass
- Jazz lines for bass
- Thumb position for cello and bass
In addition to technical studies, Essential Technique emphasizes an understanding of music theory, history, multicultural music, and musical creativity!