Rounds and Canons for Strings
Rounds and Canons: Shaping Musical Independence. By Louis Bergonzi. Published by Kjos.
A progressive collection of performance pieces for experienced middle school through advanced high school players
Why Rounds and Canons?
- They can be one of the earliest experiences students have with chamber music
- Playing canons in an effective transition from unison playing to orchestral part playing
- Everyone learns the same part; all parts of interesting
- Instrumentation is very flexible
- Learning how canons are constructed can be an introduction to composition
- Because players know all parts, teachers can easily employ cooperative learning or peer-coaching strategies