Superior Strings in Sixteen Weeks
Superior Strings in Sixteen Weeks. By Peggy Wheeler and Carrie Lane Gruselle. Published by FJH Music.
A systematic approach to developing superior tone, intonation, balance, and technique through chorals, scale studies, and orchestral excerpts. Violin, viola, cello, and bass all use the same book. Focuses on bowing/tone/expression, features melody in all sections of the orchestra, and provides systematic approaches to the following issues:
Tone and Intonation
- Harmonizing scale warm ups
- Tuning to open strings in various patterns
- String crossing with three note chords and arpeggios
- Simple chorales to work on balance
- Chorale melodies distributed among all instruments
- Scales presented in "string order"
- Bowing rhythm patterns
- Weekly progressive exercises
- Twenty short excerpts from orchestral repertoire
- Excerpts emphasize the relationship of bowing style to articulation and interpretation
- Tips for a healthy approach to performance