Southwest Strings Clinician - Dr. James McWhorter
With no cost to you, we proudly offer the talents of our clinician, Dr. James McWhorter, to assist you in promoting enthusiasm and community support for your program. Dr. McWhorter is an acclaimed musician, teacher, and clinician. He is passionate and has dedicated much of his life to music education.
To help you determine if a visit by Dr. McWhorter would work well with your program, please review below some of the activities and services he can provide to your music program:
- Guest conducting at all levels (including All-County/City Orchestras, honor Orchestras, and Orchestra Festivals)
- In-School orchestra clinic with your school orchestra
- Cello Master Classes
- Chamber music coaching
- Live "1st lessons" for cello
- Provide parental guidance on the importance of their support and involvement in string programs
- Teach and share techniques and unique methods to create and enhance string programs on any budget
If you believe Dr. McWhorter would benefit your program, send your proposal directly to one our of school specialists, Tiffany Johnson, at email@example.com.
- The nature of the event
- The makeup of your group
- The desired event location and possible dates for the event
- The number of students and teachers involved
- How long a visit you would like (one or two days would be best)
- In what capacity you'd like to see Dr. McWhorter serving while visiting your program.
Let's work together to keep music alive and thriving in our schools!
Exciting performer and dedicated educator, Dr. McWhorter has gained acclaim for his work in establishing strong string programs in his community. He has conducted youth orchestras, taught in colleges and public schools, has had extensive experience performing Chamber Music ensembles and full orchestras, and has worked in recording studios.
For 5 years, he played with the USMC Band's "White House Orchestra" and was professor of cello, and orchestra director at both Marshall University (8 years), and Utah State University (4 years). In recent years, he has been drawn to teaching beginner student levels at elementary and middle schools.
He holds his D.M.A. in Cello Performance with a Minor in Orchestral Conducting from the University of Arizona, where he studied with the late Gordon Epperson. He has extensive experience conducting youth orchestras including many summers in residence at Rocky Ridge Music Center in Estes Park, Colorado.
Dr. McWhorter just retired from directing Mountain West String Academy/Cache County Elementary Strings in Logan, Utah. He supervised the 12 to 15 teachers at 11 elementary schools for 4th and 5th grades, and worked with the volunteer board in maintaining a unique partnership between the board and the county school system.
With his unique background and training, he brings a unique blend of encouragement and expertise to young string players and orchestra programs.